Operation Management Department Achievements
The Operation Management Department has achieved many accomplishments at various levels and at various departments, and these achievements are set out as follows:
1. Complaints of water shortage has been decreased very much in various areas. These complaints have no exceeded more than 900 complaints regarding the issue of water shortage, in comparison to nearly 4000 complaints of 2005 and this decrease refer to several reasons:-
A - Replacing the inlet pipeline to Beitunia station from 16 "to 24" contributed to the stability of the station to provide the (JWU) with fixed amounts of four water pumping station/Ramallah.
B - Commitment of the supply-side (Mekorot) to provide (JWU) with an average of 28000 square meter daily.
C - Rehabilitation of well no.( 3), which began at the end of 2005 and work completed perfectly in 2006 helped resolve the crisis of north-eastern region greatly.
D - Operating Bir Zeit pipeline no.( 10) contributed significantly to the stability of Birzeit water supply, as well as the areas of Kober - Abu Shekheidim and Al Mazraah Al Sharqia.
The teams of water distribution have pursued the shortages of water in the high areas and we are conducted a simple program to distribute water equitably among all regions, through which the pumping in the network of (JWU) was stabilized, and the water pipeline decreases in high areas for 8 hours during the day and return to stability in the rest of the day.
The area of Beit Hanina, which provided from Shu'fat network link suffers from water shortages in the summer as well as the network suffers from deficiency of diameter of the pipelines and their ability to carry an additional quantities of water, in addition to the amount of water networks, which provide us by Gehoun and we tried repeatedly to increase the quantity, but without gain nothing and we will try in 2007 to get firefighter links to cover the shortage of water.
2. The branch maintenance and reform of the distribution repair more than 2000 cuts on the distribution network and within the allowed period during 24-hour, with some exceptions of cuts which were tackled temporarily because of not completing the work on the involved sites, as well as the branch of maintenance paving streets and damage sites for a distance of more than 3200 counters where it was consumed of 380 counters of asphalt , the section also change many of the damaged lines that coincide with the rehabilitation of damaged parts. Also, it lifted many of the manholes and, repairs it and adds taps in some areas, as well as discovering many of the thefts and handle it through consulting consumers/customers services to follow-up these issues.
In addition, the work of all outside groups were cancelled and all the groups returned to the (JWU) and started working from it except only in the cases of emergency and necessity including of that Beit Hanina group.
3. The branch of the new consumers/customers have laying 21026 counters of pipes of various diacounters starting from ‘6 and ending with 3 / 4’, where the laying transactions reached 2488 including (5470 new transactions, 1437 an additional transactions, 278 transfer lines and 197 transactions which has to do with pipelines organization, 47 transactions of laying to the network, and 82 transactions concerning those of the limited income).
4. Operations Department has installed counters to the village of Ein Qania, and an approximately 115 new consumers/customers were provided with water, where we replaced, which was installed by the contractor because it doesn’t work properly and we have installed a new valve control and pressure lighter and the water situation and the pressure were very appropriate at Ein Qenia.
5. We succeeded, and special thanks extended to the efforts of Mohammed Odeh, upon his request to renew part of the water pipelines near the wall at Dahiyat Al-Bareed to improve the situation of water supply for the region and at the expense of the army. It was actually started the process of installation of new pipelines.
6. The maintenance work is completed at Ramallah station where the maintenance include pump No. (4) and pump No. (2), where these pumps were renewed and a new USA drive installed, in addition to new pump. This maintenance contributed to the reduction in the use of energy consumption for the mentioned pump by 6 kilowatt per hour, and this means reducing the energy consumption of that pump to 48000 kW in one year, which means saving of 30240 NIS an equivalent of U.S. $ 7200 per year.
7. Change the large vertical pump at the main pipelines network contributed to the reduction of energy consumption of that pump to 10 kw per hour and this in return reduced the energy consumption in 2006 to 60000 kW an equivalent to NIS(New Israeli Shekel) 376,000, or the equivalent of U.S. $ 9000.
8. Maintenance of Al Mazraah Al Sharqia pumps station, where maintenance work was completed for two reservoir pumps and installed a new pump with higher efficiency in Al Mazraah Al Sharqia where we manage to save 15 kilowatts per year or the equivalent of NIS 42,525 or equivalent to U.S. $ 10000.
9. Qalandia pipeline line No.(2) has been replaced "to the pipeline 6" at the expense of the army when the crossing work has been completed.
10. Completion of the implementation of laying pipelines of the workers / trade unions housing project at Al Mazra‘a Al Garbia , as well as the completion of the Doha laying pipelines of housing project to the distance of 1200 counters, as well as the completion of the laying project pipelines of Beyton / Jeffna and extending a pipeline to length of 1 km (Ductile) Station Street / Ministry of Planning in Balou’ area.
11. Achieving and finalizing of 2359 completed transactions. The number of the paid transactions amounted to 2262, whereas the unpaid transactions amounted to 1652, bearing in mind that there are 361 transactions has been paid without registration at the unit office support, which means that the engineering department is still delivering transaction for payment to the Fund without referring to the support office for registration.
12. Complete control and checking of the water availability supplied to the consumers/customers, and responding to the complaints of the consumers/customers immediately. It has been examined and implemented of 905 bacterial test, with a percentage of 236% during the year of all over the regions of tests required in different regions of the network and the success rate of tests were 98,7 % according to international standards, and also it has been carried out of 25 bacterial water tests for water sources and 55 chemical and physical tests for the sources of water. Also, it was carried out 110 tests for chlorine in Ramallah network station and the reservoir of Jabal AL-Taweel, and about 18 complaints received from the public were have been discussed. Also, it has been tested 22 water leakage of the extended water source of the leakage, which in turn leads to assess (5) networks and new pipelines.
13. The surveyors in the Operations Department, has marked about 180 new transaction and transfer the water pipelines to municipalities and to contractors at 90 sites and transfer of all lines of new transactions, which amounted to 547 transactions during 2006, as well as it was marked to carried out the implementation of projects, to those of low Income to 12 villages. It also has been transfer the references and water pipelines on new maps instead of allowance instead of damaged and Karaoke, have been deported and references, the fonts on the computer for most of the areas and the rest is 6 areas that will be implemented in 2007, were collected paintings of different areas of concession of (JWU) for each computer to be a general guide to the Department was initiated recently in the processing programs and computers and information to migrate networks and lines of (JWU) to the GIS.
14. Supervision and follow-up, monitoring and maintenance of all the tools of (JWU) and working to ensure tools availability for all departments. The cost of maintenance stood at ----------- tools that we have NIS 200000 which equal --- NIS for each tool or equipment.
15. Operations Department has continued to follow up all issues and transactions, communications and procurement for the department, specifically the service department. As well as follow-up all claims, actions with the Municipality of Jerusalem and the Israeli army. Also, the department followed the process of providing the necessary permits required for various departments.
16. The Operations Department participated in many activities held by the (JWU), whether it was in developmental work and participation in various committees such as ( MIS, GIS, B.P) and inventory committees, water awareness programs, lectures to students and others).
17. The Operation Department is still providing support to other departments, by two employees who were assigned to work at the Administrative Department.
18. It was prepared and designed the specifications of the new pumps that will be installed in Ramallah network in 2007, and the specifications ready for tender prices and the implementation of this project will be at the expense of KFW.
19. Work continue to develop the network of Beit Hanina, and several pipelines 2 "and smaller diacounters replaced by 2"was changed at the expense of the rehabilitation project of a network of Beit Hanina, UNDP. The project has not been completed due to the lack of funds.
Operations Department Plan for the year 2007. *****
1. Adding a fifth pump to Ramallah network station card no. 500 m 3 /s (KFW project), as well as an installation of a new electrical panel with (KFW project) so that it can be possible to pump additional quantities of water in the event of Mekorot increased the supplied quantity.
2. Installation and extension of a new and additional transactions, including not less than 1500 consumer and as received by the (JWU) of a new applications so as not to exceed the application of the transaction for 10 days.
3. To maintain and repair damage and leakage in the network no later than 24 hours of reporting for the damage.
4. Management and operation of Ein Samia wells, so that this procedure can help the north-east region to supply of water, so as to maintain water levels in wells and not exposed them to risk of attrition.
5. Management and distribution of water to the consumers/customers to ensure fair access for all citizens of clean, safe, water and in reasonable quantity within the amount available to be the water cut less as possible.
6. Making laboratory testing of water resources, and to supply links once a year and making of all bacterial tests for networking sites including at least 500 laboratory testing in the year, according to international standards.
7. Making the required anti- maintenance work for all engines, pumps and wells, including Ein Samia to ensure that it continues to work continuously and without violations.
8. Control and manage the network and reduce the pressure at various locations through the use of control valves to help reduce the wastage of water at different water networks. (The areas of Tira, Mukhmas will be solved).
9. Attempting to increase the amount of water in the area of Beit Hanina, through new connections (number 2) to fill the shortage in the amount of water in upland areas in Beit Hanina.
10. Receiving all the requests from the public and complete it first by first, and not to impede its movement only in the case of any violation of the regulations in force.
11. Control the movement of vehicles, monitoring and follow-up maintenance prohibitive for all existing vehicles, as we plan to sell two cars (Fiat + Subaru) at the end of the year, and to buy 3 cars ,one instead of Skoda and the other two instead of (Fiat + Subaru).
12. Training number of (JWA) employees at thesystem of GIS, specifically surveyors Hamouda, Qasim Ziad Musleh. Next year will witness the completion of the initial foundations of this system in preparation to transfer the (JWU) networks in the coming years.
13. Continuing to transfer pipelines and new transactions and mark new transactions to maintenance the existing of schemes and renew it first. Also, identified schemes that wanted to do a scanning for and it will be stored on the computer, re-arranged and storage the schemes that have been transferred to the computer.
14. Regarding the human resources consider the following:
1- Ein Samia: At the end of this year, Wael Abdullah will quit and retire and so we need:
A – promoting one of the guards at Ein Samia to an employee (pump shift) after making the required examination and the announcement of the job.
B - We will need to run a guard a year on a temporary basis for 4- 5 months.
2- Branch of maintenance and distribution / we need 3 temporary workers (day laborers) and with contracts over the next year where we have a shortage and for a year (where there are seven technicians and 12 workers and three workers for task asphalt group and for welding (Musa + Ayman).
3- Branch of the new consumers/customers / we need 3 contract workers to fill the shortage of workers and for a year. (Where there are 4 technicians and 7 workers and one worker who used a tool that deals with stones and rock).
4- Planning to hire head of the network (extensions, maintenance and distribution) to be an engineer in the next year.
Operations Department in Numbers ******
- The (JWU) has finished its work in mid-2006 to connect all new consumers/customers in the region of Ain Qainya with (JWU) water network and began the process to provide the town with water instead of reliance on the purchase of water containers and by doing this, the (JWA) has covered all the villages and sites that fall under its control.
- As (JWU) has installed a new network pipelines include primary and secondary for the housing trade unions (Al-Karamah Housing - Al Mazraah Al Qeblyah) after Al-Karamah society has been able to provide the (JWU) the pipelines.
The Operations Department was managed to deliver water to 169 new consumers/customers until the end of October 2006, and thus the Operations Department had completed the extension length of 19 km of different pipelines with different discounters by the end of October 2006.
- The (JWU) worked with high efficiency in the process of supply and distribution of water to citizens in 2006. The complaints of citizen about the cutting of water have been decreased from 3750 complaints in 2005 to 900 complaints in 2006. This gives an indication that the regularity of water supply to the consumers/customers was fruitful ,and for the first time in years, the water didn’t cut off to many areas, as it was in 2005 due to the following reasons:
1. Repairing and operating well no. (3), which stopped for two years where the (JWU) has re-developed the well and installed equipment for the well funded by the management supervision of KFW and UNDP, as the well was able to function at the end of 2005 with card 3,190 m3 / s.
2. Hard negotiations took place between the administrative of (JWU) and water providers in the summer of 2005 and it comes up with the result that the supplier should committed in 2006 to supply the (JWU) on a daily basis of 29000 m3 / day through Ramallah network station.
3. The completion of the change and run the inlet line to Ramallah network station has been installed line 24 "instead of the line 16".
All these factors contributed to the stability to provide consumers/customers with water and continue the supply of day and night without any cut.
- The amount of water losses reached at the end of 2005 (07 Ń 27%) and the (JWU) hopes through the implementation of several projects for the rehabilitation of water systems to reduce losses mentioned and we hope that this percentage stood at 26% at the end of 2007, and after running several networks that have been completed.
The Operations Department repair and maintenance of 1330 broke and damage in various regions that are under the control of (JWU) until the end of October 2006, and the response to repair and maintenance up to a maximum of 48 hours for most notifications.
- The (JWU) has replaced approximately 3,5 km from the old pipelines in the area of Beit Hanina, that suffer from an obsolete pipelines in the network, which helped ease the broke and damage with pipelines. This action also contributed to the stability of water supply to many areas, and the (JWU) maximize the key link (Shu'fat link) by diameter of 3 "to two links of diameter 4", it was also enlarging Hizma village link from the link diameter of 2 "to a new link diameter 4".
- The Operations Department and through funded project by KFW- to install new submersible pumps in wells no. (1) at Ein Samia were to change the specifications of these pumps to match the quality of water in the well by the end of 2005.
- The Operations Department has conducted the chlorination of drinking water from Ein Samia network to use of liquid chlorine, which is located in the form of sodium hypochlorite as the use of liquid chlorine will be safer than chlorine gas, which will inject “liquid chlorine” through special small pumps with a percentages that correspond to the what is recommended by the World Health Organization.
- The Operations Department has conducted maintenance comprehensive work to Ramallah pipeline network before the beginning of summer in 2006. The maintenance included changing of old engines with new ones, have provided a percentage of electric power consumption as well as a change to the old pump and a new engine before the start of the summer in 2006.
- The (JWU) has conducted a program of supporting and assisting funded by KFW to consumers/customers who has limited income, the (JWU) transfer consumers/customers counters away from their homes, which was extended a distance of 19 km of pipelines in this project in 2005 and 2006, also this project contributed to support the Palestinian society through new working projects that have been employing nearly 16 workers and engineers on a monthly basis for one year and a half.